[techtalk] multibooting vs. VMWare?

Aaron Malone aaron at mancala.semo.net
Mon Nov 8 09:49:31 EST 1999

Multibooting linux/win95 is actually quite easy these days, as long as you
install Windows *first*.  Once you have Windows up on hda, go ahead and
do the Redhat install, being careful not to delete your windows partition.
Once you get to the "Install Bootloader" step, make sure there's an entry
for windows (I think the RH installer is smart enough to do this
automatically).  congrats, you're done.

As far as vmware is concerned, I use it every day for Outlook and Platypus
(my ISP's billing software).  It works fine for those, but DON'T EVEN
THINK about trying to use it for gaming.  it's quite slow compared to
processor speed, and last I checked, only supported DirectX 3 in a guest
OS, which won't run most recent 95/98 games.

-Aaron