[techtalk] X in Corel vs. Red Hat (was: winmodem sound driver)

Alain Toussaint alain at cyber-horizons.com
Fri Dec 17 01:45:55 EST 1999

Ian Phillips wrote:

> > IMO, debian has a better package manager.  It also has about 3000
>
> What's better about it? I know (roughly) how RPM works and what features it offers, but what advantages does dpkg give me? Apart from better quality control ;-)
>
> Yours,
> Ian.

in that case,i think it's because the easy upgrade path of apt,you run the
command apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade to get an updated system,but i
think rpm is easier to work with in the development standpoint (craft a spec
file then rpm -BB if memory is right to build a new package from source and
some app have configure script which build the spec file beside the other
needed files).

Alain

--
Three things are certain: