[techtalk] truncated file names

Terry Randall tvbare at socket.net
Tue Dec 14 21:53:46 EST 1999

from the fstab manpage:

The fifth field, (fs_freq), is used for these filesystems by the dump(8)
command to determine which filesystems need to be dumped.  If the fifth
field is not present, a value of zero is returned and dump will assume
that the filesystem does not need to be dumped.
       The  sixth field, (fs_passno), is used by the fsck(8) program to
determine        the order in which filesystem checks are done at reboot
time.   The  root        filesystem  should  be specified with a fs_passno
of 1, and other filesys-        tems should have a fs_passno of
2.  Filesystems within  a  drive  will  be        checked  sequentially,
but filesystems on different drives will be checked        at the same
time to utilize parallelism available in the hardware.  If the
sixth  field  is not present or zero, a value of zero is returned and fsck
will assume that the filesystem does not need to be checked.

I would assume you DO NOT want to fsck a windows mount, so I would use
a "0" here.

 On Tue, 14
Dec 1999, Samantha Jo Moore imparted the following wisdom: