[techtalk] truncated file names

Jeff Dike jdike at karaya.com
Tue Dec 14 23:05:23 EST 1999

> In the /etc/fstab, the entry the corresponds to the filesystem you
> want to have mounted at boot time should have a 1 in the fifth field.
> A 0 in this field indicates that it should not be mounted at boot
> time.

This is what man fstab has to say about field # 5:

       The fifth field, (fs_freq), is used for these  filesystems
       by the dump(8) command to determine which filesystems need
       to be dumped.  If the fifth field is not present, a  value
       of zero is returned and dump will assume that the filesys-
       tem does not need to be dumped.

The "don't mount at boot-time" option is actually the "noauto" option in field
#4.

> The number in the sixth field indicates the sequence in  which
> this filesystem is mounted.

Actually, it's a pass number, which isn't, strictly speaking, a sequence
number.  mount makes a number of passes through the file, mounting filesystems
with the same pass number (in the order that they appear in the file, I
imagine).

>DOS and windows partitions should have a 2 here.

They at least shouldn't be 1, which is reserved for the root fs.  If you have
a deeply nested filesystem organization, e.g., /, /usr, /usr/dos as separate
filesystems, the /usr/dos might do well to have a pass number of 3.

				Jeff