[techtalk] winmodem sound driver

Caitlyn Martin caitlyn at netferrets.net
Tue Dec 14 15:15:10 EST 1999

Hi, Theresa,

> #2.  Wanting to give linux a whirl I wanted to purchase a box that would
be linux
>compliant.  I went to pricewatch.com and purchased from their linux systems
section
> this box that is very non linux compliant.

That sounds like false advertising to me.  Can you return it and find one
that is Linux compliant?  It doesn't have to be expensive.  My Mom's 433 MHZ
EMachine cost $400, including the monitor.  The Winmodem had to be replaced,
and the memory upgraded from 32MB to 64 MB, but we are still talking under
$500.

> I'd like a solution to my issue, or a truthful information that it can't
be resolved, not advice > that I can't afford to take.

You might notice you got essentially the same advice from the entire list.
Winmodems are very poor technology.  They don't work well under Windows
either.  You may not like the advice, but it is truthful.  If the company
that sold you the machine won't make it right you have two options:  live
with a poor technological solution or spend a bit more.

I find that if I am very, very assertive and clear about what I want and
why, I can usually get what I want in situations like this.  So... instead
of getting upset at all of us, why not get upset at pricewatch.com, and make
it clear to them just how upset you are.  You might just be surprised at the
result.

Good luck!
Caity