[prog] Choosing a source repository site

John.Sturdy john.sturdy at ul.ie
Tue Feb 2 15:21:43 UTC 2010

Having looked around further (particularly starting from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_open_source_software_hosting_facilities) I'm now inclining towards using savannah.nongnu.org, provided that my project meets the criteria, which I think it probably does.  (It's a library to provide a common interface, as seen by the application using it, to a variety of scripting languages, so the user can decide at runtime which language to use, rather than it being hardwired into the application.  So it'll link to a variety of language implementation libraries under a variety of licences, but probably none of them proprietary.)

The main thing thing that changed my mind about using Google Code was finding that it restricts the countries from which it can be used.  (SourceForge does likewise, and so do a few others.)

I'm still undecided on which control software to use; either bazaar or git, but I've not yet used either (which is a bit embarrassing!).  (So far I've used cvs, which I don't like, and darcs, which is delightful but none of the public hosted sites seem to offer it, and it requires users to download relatively obscure software; and we're switching to svn in-house, which doesn't sound a lot better than cvs.)

__John