[prog] Python DB Front-end Project

Don Parris webdev at matheteuo.org
Wed Jun 29 14:07:58 EST 2005

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 18:51:25 +0100
Dan <dan at cellectivity.com> wrote:

> Hi Don.
>
> I'm reasonably good with Python and I'm certainly interested in helping
> out churches. I might be able to help you.
>
> Let me warn you that it's much easier to start an open-source project
> than to finish one. If you're doing this as your own learning project
> then there's nothing to worry about, but if other people are going to be
> using and depending on this program then you have a considerable
> commitment on your hands. In the latter case, you need a really good
> justification for making your own program rather than using an existing
> one.

Well, let's hope that, if we start it, it becomes worth keeping up. ;)  I am
doing this as a learning project, but also because the FLOSS solutions are
so few.  Even I don't really feel like installing/configuring ChurchInfo,
the InfoCentral spin-off.  I tinkered a bit with PHP, but got interested in
other projects.  I wrote a little bit about the InfoCentral spin-offs in
"Penguin in the Pew" 2.0, but IC is going the Java route.

I've decided the best approach might be to launch CHADDB in similar fashion
to the Sword Project.  Sword is the back-end engine to which the various
sub-projects connect, depending on the languages used.  Thus, the front-ends
I launch will be named Ekklesia.  People can develop the front-ends that
best suit them.

> That said, the project interests me, so I'll be heading down to
> sourceforge to check it out.

You won't find much at sourceforge other than some info.  I think the
only downloadable files are the CHADDB files located on matheteuo's server.
I can e-mail you the Python code.

Don
> --
>   [M]y wife and I attended grad school in linguistics at Berkeley
>   and UCLA. At the time, we were actually planning to be
>   missionaries (more specifically, Bible translators), but we had
>   to drop that idea for health reasons. Funny thing is, now the
>   missionaries probably get more good out of Perl than they'd have
>   gotten out of me as a missionary. Go figure.
>      - Larry Wall (inventor of Perl)

I had heard that Larry Wall was a Christian, but wanted to verify it.  Your
quote solved that problem.  Thanks!

Don
--
evangelinux    GNU Evangelist