[prog] lex and yacc

dominik.schramm at gmxpro.net dominik.schramm at gmxpro.net
Thu Jan 22 13:15:30 EST 2004

Hi,

Sue Stones <suzo at spin.net.au> writes:
> Anyway at the moment I am stuck trying to get an overview.  I am trying to
> write a compiler for a "bare bones" programming language but I cannot uite
> get my head around what I am trying to achive, and how lex and yacc work
> together.

(f)lex is for pattern-matching, yacc for (context-free) grammar-parsing.
They usually work together.
The flex (the GNU lex implementation) manual contains some
introductory text and simple examples:
http://www.gnu.org/software/flex/manual/html_chapter/flex_toc.html

Likewise the bison (the GNU yacc implementation) manual:
http://www.gnu.org/software/bison/manual/html_node/index.html

>From .../{flex|bison}/manual/ you can download the manuals
in various formats.

hth,
Dominik

--
Dominik Schramm <dominik.schramm at gmxpro.net>
pgp key available via e-mail, web, and FTP from