[prog] lex and yacc

Yaroslav Fedevych jaroslawfd at ukrpost.net
Thu Jan 22 13:57:43 EST 2004

Sue Stones wrote:

> Does anyone know how to use lex and yacc, I am trying to get started at
> understanding them (although I dunno how they will be usefull in the future).

lex and yacc are tools which make writing lexical analyzers and
compilers in more easy way; you give themm some more-or-less simplistic
patterns and they produce ready-for-using C code or so. That's what I know.

However, if you actually like to write everything by your own and do not
trust generated code, then you're free to get rid of these tools.

BTW, what's the programming language you're writing? I like to collect
information about rare programming languages and am fond of coding in
them (assembly is my favorite).