[prog] Filling an option list (was: perl woes...)

Wolfgang Petzold petzold at villa-chaos.de
Wed Jun 4 08:00:34 EST 2003

Hi!

> That's a great solution Wolfgang.

Well, "great"... kind of browsing through docs, finding something halfway
interesting and having a look at wether it works the way you expect it to.
But, as I mentioned before, when it comes to browser dependance I will
very quickly lose my nerve. And if I remember right, broser dependance
comes quickly with using JavaScript.

> Seeing the potential for a very large cascading
> if-then-elsif-then-elsif-then-else I just want to offer the suggestion
> of CGI::Application.

I will have a look at it.

By the way: Who is surfing CPAN all the time to find out which modules
are good for what? :-)

> I have one final comment on using this javascript solution and that is
> userfriendliness.  Almost all browsers support javascript now (although
> w3m and lynx remain strongly used examples of ones which don't) but not
> all users leave javascript on, or leave all parts of javascript on.  This
> means that you must still make your form useable by people who don't have
> javascript to submit their form.
>
> Just keep that in mind and all will be well.

Right you are. So we will have to add the submit buttons to be able to
submit the subforms manually too. Saying that, I admit we should think
about a multipage solution with 'next' and 'previous' buttons -- depending
on how (over-)full or how empty these pages would look.

Bye
Wolfgang