[prog] "Show us the code" and working in Free Software

Jenn Vesperman jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au
Thu Apr 17 21:10:05 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-04-17 at 20:11, Jimen Ching wrote:

> What I did was; I read something that I consider to be a problem in the
> software engineering profession, and I saw an opportunity to open a
> discussion about all the problems that exist.  Though I probably didn't
> word it very well enough.  But I believe a few people still agreed that a
> problem does exist, though not to the same extent and degree.  I was
> hoping that a discussion for finding the boundaries of these problems, and
> an expression of different points of view, would result.  There are
> benefits to learning about a problem beyond just finding a solution.

Perhaps. Such a discussion started, but was hampered by sweeping
generalisations and misunderstandings.

> But instead of such a discussion, a tangient thread evolved about various
> phrases and terms used by the community.  Which most agree, more or less.
> Unfortunately, we can't seem to get beyond the definitions, and got stuck
> arguing about things that even the community can't agree upon.

Until a group of people agrees on a terminology, further discussion will
wind up being hampered by not sharing a common language.

Jenn V.
   My book 'Essential CVS': published by O'Reilly in June 2003.
jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au     http://anthill.echidna.id.au/~jenn/