[prog] State of software engineering profession

Jenn Vesperman jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au
Sun Apr 13 19:48:33 EST 2003

On Sun, 2003-04-13 at 17:18, Jimen Ching wrote:

> Cars aren't designed on an assembly line.  I don't see why the design
> process of software needs to be different from the design of everything
> else.  A software application is a system, just like products in every
> other industry.  And there are a few 'visionaries' that design software
> like everything else.  It's just that our industry doesn't do it that way.

Forgive me, but I don't understand your premise. Once a car's rough
design is made, a prototype is manufactured and tested. But the
prototype cannot be burned to disk and have millions produced, and a
prototype is never manufactured in assembly-line fashion.

Once a software design is made, a prototype is manufactured and tested.
Once the prototype is acceptable, a copy is burned to disk - in fact, a
million copies are burned to disk.

When, in software, can the assembly line be used? Software IS design,
down to finer and finer grain detail until finished.

Jenn V.
   My book 'Essential CVS': published by O'Reilly in June 2003.
jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au     http://anthill.echidna.id.au/~jenn/