[prog] "Show us the code" and working in Free Software

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Thu Apr 17 00:11:29 EST 2003

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Mary wrote:
>On Wed, Apr 16, 2003, Jimen Ching wrote:
>> On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Mary wrote:
>> > The "talk is cheap" is a better summation of the original point I
>> > was making to Jimen.
>> What do you define as 'talk'?
>In this case, what Kathryn described as vapourware. Unbacked assertains,
>such as you were making earlier in the thread.

I believe I gave some examples of the problems I saw in the software
engineering profession in particular, and the industry in general.

>I'm not going to participate in the meta-thread anymore.

My philosophy to software engineering is that it consists both a technical
side and a philosophical side.

What I did was; I read something that I consider to be a problem in the
software engineering profession, and I saw an opportunity to open a
discussion about all the problems that exist.  Though I probably didn't
word it very well enough.  But I believe a few people still agreed that a
problem does exist, though not to the same extent and degree.  I was
hoping that a discussion for finding the boundaries of these problems, and
an expression of different points of view, would result.  There are
benefits to learning about a problem beyond just finding a solution.

But instead of such a discussion, a tangient thread evolved about various
phrases and terms used by the community.  Which most agree, more or less.
Unfortunately, we can't seem to get beyond the definitions, and got stuck
arguing about things that even the community can't agree upon.

In our current global political stage, 'talk is cheap' seems to be the
accepted slogan.  Of course, for many, talking is a way to learn and
expand our knowledge and gain enlightenment.  Though there are many good
reasons to gain enlightenment, the journey itself may be worth the effort.
If only we could progress far enough into the journey.

Thank you for the participation you have provided up to this point.  And
thank you for your support on the topics we both agree, and your point of
view on those topics that we disagree.  Anecdotes from the various
contributors are exactly the type of contributions I was hoping for,
thanks jennyw.

--jc
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching at flex.com     wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org