[Jobposts] Seattle Times: Sr. Linux Sys Admin

Meryll Larkin mll at alwanza.com
Tue Feb 24 02:34:38 UTC 2015

check out our new website:
http://www.seattletimes.com/

Looking for a Sr. Linux System Administrator to join my hard working and
small team.

MUST:
Live in or near Seattle WA, USA, because you will need to work in our
Downtown office on Denny Way.
Be able to get to our Data Center in Bothell occasionally.
Have experience doing 24/7 support and be willing to do 24/7 rotation.
Respond to:  mlarkin at seattletimes.com

I've got 2 versions of the job description, my boss' version and my version.
Pick whichever one you like:

This is my boss' version:
REQUIREMENTS
.	Bachelor's degree in a related field, such as Engineering or
Science, or equivalent experience
.	10+ years in Systems management-related roles (Administrator or
Engineer)
.	8+ years of experience managing UNIX/Linux systems
.	Experience with large scale systems administration, storage and data
center infrastructure
.	Deep understanding of RedHat and Debian based Linux distributions
.	Experience with one or more system virtualization technologies (Xen,
KVM, etc.)
.	Demonstrated ability to initiate and drive cross-functional projects
to resolution both individually and as part of a team
.	Knowledge of IP networking and Internet technologies (TCP/IP, DNS,
LDAP, HTTP, and others)
.	Shell and general scripting experience
.	Chef or Puppet experience
.	Excellent communication skills; ability to successfully communicate
with differing communication styles
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
.	Experience with AWS and with VoIP-related technologies is a plus
.	Experience working in a telecom company is a plus

This is my version:
Must haves:
  24/7 support experience and willing to participate in rotation.   Some
on-site work at DataCenter in Bothell with no bus transportation.
  Experience building, patching, configuring, troubleshooting RedHat and
Ubuntu servers.
  Scripting experience in shell script (bash, sh), and either Perl or Python
  Experience with Nagios or other monitoring systems
  Experience with Vmware Vsphere Client
  Experience with Active Directory authentication or LDAP, Kerberos, Samba
  Experience with (any) Backup System
  Great communication skills, including:
      Documentation of procedures
     Email communications - clear and concise;  with good follow-through.
     Technical  communication to both technical and nontechnical recipients.

Nice to have (at least 3 of these)
  Experience with WordPress
  Experience with UCS  Unified Cisco Server
  Experience with NetApp
  Experience with HA clusters
  Experience with Puppet, Chef, or Salt (state maintaining systems)
  Experience with Digital Asset Management systems
  Experience creating any of the following:  repository server, DNS server,
FTP server.
  Experience with Git
  Ability to access the technical needs of an upgrade or new systems project
  DR planning
  Database administration

What we do:
   Keep the servers running:  respond to alerts and tickets, upgrade
systems, patch systems, create new custum solutions, document procedures.
Support the developers.  Support the newsroom.
   Work in a small sharp peer-team; coordinate our team efforts and
schedules, take ownership of projects, share our knowledge and experience
with team; work with and encourage a diverse environment.