[Jobposts] Site Reliability Engineer job - Linux Systems - VMware's Cloud Foundry

Michael Walsh (c) walshm at vmware.com
Wed Oct 3 16:16:43 UTC 2012

Site Reliability Engineer job - Linux Systems - VMware's Cloud Foundry

Full-time permanent position
Palo Alto, CA (Hillview Ave) - no telecommuting option
Relocation available for US candidates only.

Current team size = 5 and adding 3.

We are looking to add an additional three SREs to our five  person team to support the first Open PaaS service. Cloud Foundry is the industry's first Open PaaS. It can support multiple frameworks, multiple cloud providers, and multiple application services all on a cloud scale platform. Our core platform is open source, and can be found on github at https://github.com/cloudfoundry. Learn more about Cloud Foundry by visiting the live site at www.cloudfoundry.com<http://www.cloudfoundry.com>, the open source community site at www.cloudfoundry.org<http://www.cloudfoundry.org>, or follow the activity on twitter @cloudfoundry and #cfoundry.

Our team is composed of well known industry veterans with a long history of building and operating large scale distributed systems. We are leading open source developers, innovators, and researchers. We are self-starters with a hands-off management team that shields us from unnecessary bureaucracy. We have lives, we work flexible hours, we run a large scale service and we launch product.

Job Description:

As a Site Reliability Engineer, you will be evolving and operating the infrastructure automation platform we use to power Cloud Foundry. Your job will be to ensure that our production environment is operating and performing, and that software is released and deployed in an efficient and streamlined manner, from development all the way to production. This is a hands-on operational role with a balanced amount of tool and infrastructure development.

Success in this role requires very strong system administration skills, an aptitude for distributed systems and attention to minute details. You need to have well developed network, systems and code-level troubleshooting abilities. You are expected analyze complex system behaviors or performance problems, and be able to trace issues across multiple systems. The SRE works as a first responder and is ultimately responsible for Cloud Foundry to be up and running.

Responsibilities:

- Operate and deploy Cloud Foundry and related projects from development to production
- Develop automation, processes, and tools designed to make this process simpler and more robust
- Bridge Engineering and Data Center Operations
- Participate in troubleshooting, capacity planning and analysis, performance analysis activities

Requirements:

- BA/BS in Computer Science preferred, or equivalent experience
- Hands on operational experience in a high-volume or critical production service environment
- At least 3 years experience with Linux/Unix systems administration
- Solid scripting skills, Ruby experience is a big plus
- IP networking, including familiarity with the functionality, operating, and failure modes of the network
- Proven technical troubleshooting and performance tuning experience
- Ability to handle periodic on-call duty as well as spider-sense awareness of services' health

http://jobs.vmware.com/job/Palo-Alto-Site-Reliability-Engineer-Cloud-Foundry-Job-CA-94301/1921720/?utm_source=J2WRSS&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=J2W_RSS

Mike Walsh
Recruiter | End User Computing and Cloud Application Services
walshm at vmware.com<mailto:walshm at vmware.com>
3900 N. Capital of Texas Hwy.
Austin, Texas
(512) 568-3753 Office