[Jobposts] Prod. Ops Engineer, Linden Lab, International (esp AU), telecommute

Strata Chalup srchalup at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 22:04:02 UTC 2008

I am PM'ing for the Ops Group here, and it's a really great team of
folks.  We're especially seeking folks in AU and Asia/Pac so that we
have workday coverage, but welcome
applicants worldwide.  There is more than one position of this
description open.  This is primarily a telecommute position; we do not
offer relocation.

Production Operations Engineer
http://lindenlab.com/employment/dnoc
[Please note we have a Prod. Ops. Developer position as well, previously posted]

Overview:
Linden Lab is building a worldwide team of junior-to-advanced
developers, system administrators, and web developers to form the core
of a Production Grid Operations team. This team will provide 24/7
monitoring, diagnosis, solving, and escalating issues related to the
Second Life grid, network, and website. In addition, these engineers
will develop tools and automation technologies for monitoring and
repairing Second Life. Qualified individuals will have a solid
technical background, a passion for mastering new skills, the ability
to self-motivate, and a desire to solve challenging and varied
problems in a time-critical environment.

Responsibilities:

   * Provide real-time response to grid attacks, network and web
outages, and other issues raised by in-world experience team
   * On-call support and expert triage in conjunction with the rest of the team
   * Provide status updates and problem descriptions to in-world and
community teams
   * Escalate problems when required to on-call development, web, and
operations staff
   * Work in collaboration with development, web, and operations
staff to design, develop, and deploy high-quality tools for the
monitoring, provisioning, and repairing of Second Life

Qualifications:

   * At least 2 years professional experience as a software
developer, system administrator, or web developer
   * Solid grounding in networking and Linux/UNIX fundamentals
   * Exceptional diagnostic and analytic skills
   * Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including documentation

Fine Print: Linden Lab seeks to maintain a diverse and welcoming
workplace; therefore candidates from all backgrounds are encouraged to
apply.

Notice to Recruiters: Please do not submit resumes to our jobs site,
to our employees or to Linden Lab by any other means, unless you have
a written contract with us, signed by an officer of Linden Lab. We are
not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.