[Jobposts] Job Announcement: Director of Data Systems Development
yearup at cgcareers.org
Fri Sep 22 14:23:32 UTC 2006
Title: DIRECTOR OF DATA SYSTEMS DEVELOPMENT AND OPERATIONS
Location: Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Organization Description: Year Up is a one-year, intensive training program that provides urban young adults, ages 18-24, with a combination of hands-on skill development, college credits, and paid corporate internships. Our mission is to prepare urban young adults for life and work in our technology-driven society while guiding urban young adults toward successful and rewarding careers and higher education. See www.yearup.org <http://www.yearup.org/> for more information about our program.
Position Overview: Reporting to the Director of Finance and Operations, the Director of Data Systems Development and Operations is responsible for leading and managing Year Up's design of national level business processes and corresponding data management systems across multiple sites and functional areas. Working as project manager, s/he will supervise key vendor relationships and work closely with a variety of user groups to build the systems and database infrastructure for the national organization ensuring the successful integration of effective recording, reporting and analysis of data across major operational areas. S/he will oversee the formation and documentation of critical business processes relevant to growing operations and national expansion and will apply analytical systems thinking to solve problems with technological solutions.
In addition to these primary responsibilities, the position joins a team of senior administrators who provide leadership in creating and sustaining a positive educational environment, with trust among students, faculty and work site leaders. In keeping with Year Up's values, the Director will interact with students regularly and could eventually incorporate some advising and teaching responsibilities into his/her work.
Acting as Project Manager, lead and manage the design and development of data systems:
* Lead varied user groups in identifying and documenting business processes that are relevant to growing operations and national expansion.
* Working with Technology Director and software vendors, translate organizational and user-specific systems needs into choice and implementation of the most appropriate data management systems to record, report, and analyze data across operational areas (student data, contact management, fundraising).
* Work with executive team to ensure that systems allow for easy access to company-critical data reported on company-wide dashboard.
* Work in conjunction with Technology Director to plan and execute integration of company data systems (finance, fundraising, etc.)
* Run design and documentation phases of database project within agreed upon deadlines and budgets.
* Work on efficiency improvements and systems design projects as required.
Lead and manage the implementation of new software:
* Effectively manage internal teams and vendor relationships around project plan, deadlines, and budget.
* Work with Technology Director and software vendor(s) to most effectively and efficiently implement data systems across users, including leading testing efforts and coordinating and assisting in all related staff training.
* Ensure that implementation issues are identified, tracked and resolved in a timely manner.
* Work with users to identify required changes and work with software vendor to implement changes within timeline.
* 5+ years of experience managing complex projects and processes
* Experience with systems design and analysis; experience coordinating development of relational databases strongly preferred
* Strong commitment to Year Up's mission and values
* Excellent attention to detail within a fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment
* Excellent interpersonal skills, including experience managing teams and working with users
* Creativity, flexibility, and a desire to work with urban young adults
* Bachelor's degree required; MBA, MS or equivalent degree preferred
To Apply: Please email a resume and thoughtful cover letter, outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity, (both in Word format) to Sue Meehan at YearUp at cgcareers.org <mailto:YearUp at cgcareers.org> , subject line "Director of Data Systems." Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Note: This full time position is located in Boston, MA; applicants should be willing to live within commuting distance. Visa assistance is not available. This is not a telecommuting position.
About Commongood Careers
Year Up has partnered with Commongood Careers to conduct the search for a Director of Data Systems Development and Operations. Commongood Careers (www.cgcareers.org/ <http://www.cgcareers.org/> ) is a nonprofit search service that connects talented individuals to organizations that are dedicated to creating positive social change. Founded and staffed by nonprofit professionals, Commongood Careers offers personalized, engaged services to jobseekers and organizations throughout the hiring process, as well as access to a wealth of knowledge about nonprofit careers.
More information about the Jobposts