[Jobposts] (US-CA-Oakland) Web marketing analyst -- Toys in Babeland

jennyw jennyw at dangerousideas.com
Thu May 19 13:02:01 EST 2005

Another job at Babeland ... this one could be pretty Linux-y, since all
the Web servers and Urchin are running on Linux. Programming ability,
although not central, would be a great plus.

This job is full-time, permanent, and would require U.S. citizenship or
permanent residency.

Babeland is a great place to work, and quite different from your typical
tech. company -- the IT team and most of the tech. contractors (e.g. Web
designers) are women, and feminism is one of the core values of the
company.

Jen

----

Online at: http://www.babeland.com/about/jobs/web-marketing-analyst

Toys in Babeland is looking for a Web Marketing Analyst!

This is a position that involves both computer savvy and analytical
ability (if you loved taking statistics, read on!). Someone who can take
a look at the jumble of data that comes through Web logs, and figure out
a good process to analyze that information to see which ads are most
effective, what key words provide the best return on investment, how to
optimize our affiliates program, and how to give us the best visibility
on search engines. And, of course, someone who wants to help fulfill the
Toys in Babeland mission:

Toys in Babeland is a sex toy retailer run by women whose mission is to
promote and celebrate sexual vitality by providing an honest, open and
fun environment, encouraging personal empowerment, educating our
community, and supporting a more passionate world for us all. We offer
top quality products, a pleasant place to shop, and most of all
information and encouragement for those who want to explore their
sexuality.  At Toys in Babeland we believe that everyone has a right to
consensual sexual pleasure.

This position's main goal is to run and analyze campaigns that draw
visitors to the Web site.  These include placing pay per click ads using
Google AdWords and Overture, analyzing those results (e.g., which
keywords are paying for themselves?), figuring out the best ways to
analyze Web log data, Web SEO, optimizing results from our newsletter,
and affiliate management. Moreover, this position needs to help maintain
some of our Web site functions, especially as they relate to Web
marketing. Applicants should either have experience with all of these or
have experience with some of these and a desire and the ability to learn
the rest with minimal handholding.

Just so you know, we only use ethical methods for marketing -- our
customer mailing list is opt-in only (no one is added to our list who
didn't specifically sign up), we detest and certainly won't advertise on
spyware networks, and we never, ever, give out customer information.
We're looking for candidates with similar values.

Please send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements via email by
Wed., May 25, to jobs-wma at babeland.com. This job will be based in our
Oakland office, located in Oakland Chinatown. Full benefits, EOE.
People of color encouraged to apply.  No calls, please.

Our Web site: http://www.babeland.com/

Some key requirements:

* Analytical ability. Be prepared to give examples. We're looking for
someone who can figure out the right questions to ask and coming up with
the answers. Some examples of questions: What are our most profitable
PPC ads? How do different campaigns affect each others' numbers (e.g.,
how does a PPC campaign affect organic search)? How do we measure
customer loyalty programs? What key words are most effective? Who are
our customers?

* Ability to automate much of the above (e.g., regularly reports).
Toward this end, experience with scripting languages like Python or Ruby
would be a big plus. Experience with Linux would be very helpful, too,
since all of our Web servers (including our analytical computers) run on
Linux (we use SuSE and Debian).

* Experience with Web Search Engine Optimization.

* Experience with online advertising, particularly PPC.

* Experience with affiliate programs.

Job description:

Web Marketing Analyst

The Web Marketing Analyst is responsible for our e-mail and Web-based
marketing efforts promoting our Web site. In particular, the Web
Marketing Analyst analyzes available data (logs, Web pages, search
rankings) and also runs several promotional programs, including PPC ads,
Web SEO, the newsletter, and the affiliates program.

Responsibilities:

.	Places pay-per click (PPC) ads on Google, Overture, and others,
and tracks their performance.
.	Comes up with a methodology for analyzing the results of our
campaigns, including figuring out how to find out answers to questions
such as: Which PPC ads are the most profitable? How do different
campaigns affect each others' numbers (e.g., how does a PPC campaign
affect organic search)?
.	Optimizes our Web pages for search engines. Includes generating
search ranking reports and running simulations against our pages using
tools such as Web Position Gold and Wordtracker.
.	Administers our affiliates program. This includes vetting
affiliates, promoting the affiliate program, analysis of affiliate data,
implementing a new affiliate system, and administrating that system
.	Send out and track the Babeland Briefs.
.	Recommends software for analysis (e.g. ClickTracks, Urchin,
WebPosition Gold, WordTracker, etc.).
.	Keeps up-to-date on trends in Web marketing/promotion.
.	Provides reports and analysis on the effectiveness of our
campaigns.
.	Administers contests and promotions.

Skills/experience:

.	Quick thinker; can adapt to changing situations.
.	Experience with data analysis and reporting, either with
marketing/Web or a related field (e.g., finance, statistics, IT).
.	Familiarity with Web SEO. Ideally, has done some SEO work in the
past.
.	Experience working with affiliate programs
.	General marketing, writing, and/or editing experience a big plus