[Jobposts] US-CA-Oakland: IT support job/contract at Toys in Babeland

jennyw jennyw at dangerousideas.com
Thu May 19 06:43:21 EST 2005

Another job at Babeland ... Not that the Linux part of the job is only
on the server side -- most of the work will be in Windows. One day,
there will be Linux on the desktop, but not quite yet ...

Babeland is a great place to work, and quite different from your typical
tech. company -- the IT team and most of the tech. contractors (e.g. Web
designers) are women, and feminism is one of the core values of the
company.

Jen

----

Toys in Babeland is looking for temporary IT help. This is an on-site
position, so you will need to be able to come to our Oakland office (in
Chinatown, near Lake Merritt BART) from 9 to 5 (approximately). The
length of the contract will be for 1 month, possibly longer. In
additional to the technical skills below, we want someone who will help
us fulfill the Babeland mission:

Toys in Babeland is a sex toy retailer run by women whose mission is to
promote and celebrate sexual vitality by providing an honest, open and
fun environment, encouraging personal empowerment, educating our
community, and supporting a more passionate world for us all. We offer
top quality products, a pleasant place to shop, and most of all
information and encouragement for those who want to explore their
sexuality.  At Toys in Babeland we believe that everyone has a right to
consensual sexual pleasure.

The main duties will be desktop help, with some work on the servers and
some application support. The ideal candidate will have experience with
Windows, Linux, and Mac. There will be occasional work on the server,
and also application support, particularly around e-mail and Microsoft
Access based applications.

Some tasks that we need completed (complete knowledge of *all* of the
following is not required; experience with most, definitely):

* Implementing Symantec Ghost (partially done) and setting up backups
for all desktops.

* Installing Windows 2003 Server w/ 3Ware RAID, tying it into our AD
tree.

* Installing Veritas Backup Exec, setting up backup policies, and
maintaining backups.

* Support desktop users on Windows XP Professional.

* Implement Windows Server Update Services.

* Support VPN users (NetScreen).

* Setup a new print server and a backup. Move all desktops to use the
new print queues. Troubleshoot printing problems.

* Dealing with viruses, spam, and malware.

* Internet faxing.

* Identify problems with existing computers (hardware and/or software)
and fixing them.

* Standardize e-mail on Thunderbird or Outlook (with mail stored on file
server), all computers should use FireFox as default browser.

* Remote support of most of the above.

* Install SuSE and Debian, and install Linux software (e.g. Urchin,
OTRS, apache, MySQL, PostgreSQL, UPS support).

* Upgrade Macs to Tiger. Troubleshoot integration issues (the latter may
preclude the former).

* Troubleshoot Microsoft Access applications.

If you feel like we're your kind of company, and if you feel you could
jump in and do most or all of the above, and feel comfortable taking a
shot at doing the rest, please send your resume and a cover letter that
includes your rates to: jobs-it-support at babeland.com.  Please send by
Wed., May 25.

Thanks!

Your pals at Babeland