[Jobposts] OGI/OHSU Solaris Position, Portland, OR, USA

Paul Heinlein heinlein at cse.ogi.edu
Thu May 20 15:22:17 EST 2004

Carla Schroder recommended that I post this job outline here. The
official job description hasn't yet been written or posted, so this is
my from-the-trenches description. My supervisor (address below) will
be able to give or point you to the official verbiage when it becomes
available.

The Oregon Health & Science University is in Portland, Oregon, but
this position is at the OGI School of Science & Engineering, located
in the nether region between Beaverton and Hillsboro in the western
suburbs. If you're familiar with the area, we're quite near
Tanasbourne.

The IT team of which I'm a part will soon need a full-time, on-site
Solaris/Linux administrator. The emphasis is on the Solaris side of
things, at least for the next couple years. After that, our commitment
to Solaris is a bit murky.

The Solaris admin will take OS- and hardware-level responsibilities
for our current Sun servers:

* mail server (220R, Solaris 9, sendmail/mimedefang/sophos)
* departmental web server (V120, Solaris 9, apache/php)
* school web server (V120, Solaris 9, apache/coldfusion)
* school web development server (V240, Solaris 9, apache/coldfusion)
* backup server (V240, Solaris 9, Oracle backup, Quantum M1500
   library)
* nis/dhcp/radius servers (2 V120s, Solaris 9)
* educational login server (E4500, Solaris 2.6)
* educational login server (E3500, Solaris 2.6, Mentor Graphics tools)
* a few other misc sparcs, some so old it's embarrassing

Application-level responsibilities vary. I, for example, maintain the web
environment and do much of the mimedefang hacking.

The Solaris 9 boxes currently rely on packages built by The Written
Word (www.thewrittenword.com), but I've been told that this year's
contract with TWW will be our last. The Solaris 2.6 login servers are
slated for OS upgrades.

We're looking at migrating a number of services currently provided by
SPARC/Solaris hosts to x86/Linux. The first candidate would be the
mail server, since it's the oldest hardware. The V120s and V240s are
all relatively new, and we'll see them at least through their warranty
cycle (2-3 years) and perhaps longer.

In terms of work climate, it's fairly laid back. Work hours are
somewhat flexible: I typically work 7-4, though others work 10-7 or
even 11-8. There's not much in the way of dress code; I wear shorts
through the summer.

We currently have a rotating pager; I get it every couple weeks, and
haven't had a real incident since February or so.

If you're interested in pursuing this, feel free to ask more questions
or you can contact our manager directly: Curt Corder at
curt.corder at cse.ogi.edu.

| Paul Heinlein                           | heinlein at cse.ogi.edu |
| Research Systems Engineer               |      +1 503 748-1472 |
| Dept. of Computer Science & Engineering | 20000 NW Walker Road |
| OGI School of Science & Engineering     |  Beaverton, OR 97006 |
| Oregon Health & Science University      |                  USA |