[IndiChix] An Open request to LinuxChix-India

Vid Ayer vid at svaksha.com
Mon Jan 5 06:35:09 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 10:56 AM, Gayathri Swaminathan
<gayathri.swa at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 11:15 PM, Kingsly John <member+indichix at kingsly.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> +++ Gayathri Swaminathan [2009-01-04 20:03:56]:
>>
>> > After being here slightly over a year and observing activities of this
>> > community, it appears the following members actively engage in several
>> > LinuxChix-India's activities:
>> >
>> > - Aneesha
>> > - Ankita
>> > - Archana
>> > - Barkha
>> > - Hassath
>> > - Runa
>> > - Swati
>> > - Vidya
>>
>> Care to explain how Swati fits in the list above?

She left the list in Feb2008. Each list admin gets sub/unsub notices.

>>  - She's not been on the list for a long time.
>>  - Hasn't bothered to reply or state her case in this thread for the past
>> week.
>>  - Has refused to share control of the domain.
>>  - And has had Atul speak for her that she'll keep renewing the domain
>> forever.
>>  - And has a past history of usurping domains that were paid for by her
>> and
>>   transfered from a community and a registered non-profit society (BLUG)
>>   some private entity (Linux Bangalore).
>>
>> I am curious to your reasoning why such a person deserves to have any kind
>> of
>> control over the domain.
>>
>> Kingsly
>>
>> PS: Obviously -1 on the votes.

-1 on this. As Hassath, Sriram, Kingsly and me have pointed out in
various emails, the day-day functioning of Indichix is NOT under a
question mark. Rather its about a non-member controlling the domain,
MIA and not responding to various requests which have been repeatedly
CC'd to her.
When Mary left the LC project she gracefully handed the domain control
to the TresChix and all the mailing lists and other details about the
project to the next set of women but you were a part of LC
(international) when this occured and hence aware of how Libre
communities work.... as in, volunteer communities are always run by
*active* members.

@Gayathri:
> The reason I still view Swati as a LinuxChix is when it all started, she
> helped with the initial infrastructure ( that's what I gather from archives/
> past)

Please do look at the archives (links below) before you form negative
opinions or sit in judgement. JFTR, for 2 years the website consisted
of an Indian flag with "Linuxchix r0x0r" below it (there is a mail
regarding this on the archives too).

I'd like to mention other women like Radha, Sruthi, Jayshree, and
others..... who are active on the list and on the ground level which
is why we have the local groups. They may not be vocal but their
contributions are important imho.

> I have not had any personal issues with Swati or Atul to cite references as
> you do repeatedly.

None have any issues with them but the Libre project comes first, not
individual(s). References are pointers to back up
claims/statements/past experiences/knowledge, hence important, else
anyone can use red herrings (Sriram provided a wikipedia link in his
previous mail) to obfuscate.  Also in light of earlier experiences of
domains being usurped, ....[NB: It would be worthwhile to compare the
UTC timings.]

http://mailman.linuxchix.org/pipermail/indichix/2005-December/000280.html
http://mailman.linuxchix.org/pipermail/indichix/2005-December/000289.html
http://mailman.linuxchix.org/pipermail/indichix/2005-December/000293.html

> Having said that the domain owner for a chapter must be a group of women.
> Recent incidents might have caused some bitterness however the initial
> founders/supporters still have rightful concerns about this chapter.

Could you clarify the last sentence please? Is that supposed to imply
that the currently active women are incapable and need a group of
advisors/managers who will tell them what to do. Care to explain
please??

--

Vid
|| http://www.svaksha.com ||
|| You are what your deepest desire is ; As you desire, so is your
intention ; As your intention, so is your will ; As is your will, so
is your deed ; As is your deed, so is your destiny | ~Upanishads ||