LinuxChix-India -- was-- Re: [Indianlc] hello people!

|| स्वक्ष || svaksha svaksha at FswRNMXwr8fmkpPrKRHHZbkS80tQ3Vi02Uy5wBTBEmdbPwjL1pHeZd3mOkVJOZvKr512uKFCpC1B.yahoo.invalid
Thu Dec 15 04:26:23 UTC 2005

Hello Archana,

On 12/15/05, Archana.S.R <archu.oct at gmail.com> wrote:

> and now iam back into the list! after a 3 month gap

.. Yay :-) It was quiet and Sulamita (brazil) was wondering why no one
responded to her mails either. I was here in July from the main
Linuxchix, where I moderate 2 ML's.

Recently a few LChix met Sulamita and we did decide to get more
active. Here are a few suggestions (please add your own too)  :

1] A Web-site (we could register a domain after polling for names and
raising funds) with some artwork and statement of why we exist on the
main page. It will be nice to see this page reflect the Indian ethos
and flavor. *Women* please contribute your ideas for designing this
page since its your list and hence your platform to speak up. I could
arrange the web-hosting and other ML's.

2] If this group is built along the same principles of LC and a local
chapter in India, it will be nice to prominently display the "Be
polite, Be helpful" rule with a link to the Howto maintained by Val
Henson [*a].

3] More categories in M-lists,
Note : All Lists are open to men (with the exception of grrls-only).

*] tech-list : for all technical/programming queries doubts, sharing, etc..

*] newbie-list : women  (and men) can freely ask any questions about
Linux where  they will not be told to RTFM. This will help those on
the fence, thinking about Linux or having used/seen it somewhere but
not sure if it is for them. I have met some who like Linux but are not
sure which distro to use and don't know where to ask or how to begin.

*] local-city wise chapter : if any chix want to meet up locally or
announce programs for their city./state or college events.

*] job-list for women: Companies wishing to hire women could use this
platform to announce openings.

*] grrls-only list : This list will be non-archived and could be only
for women with no restrictions on topics. You can talk about anything
you like and I surely the men will not grudge us this one exclusive
list ;-) and hence subscription will be based on a circle of trust
(where each woman vouches for another). For other new women, we will
work somethig out soon.

*] <add your idea here>

These lists may work or not, we don't know.  It may also take a long
time to grow but its worth the effort. We will need a lot of
Women-Volunteers so those willing, raise your hands and you can write
to me offlist too.  You will enjoy the learning experience.

What do you all think. Women, please speak-up. Here I must state that
I would especially like women to vote, since LC-India is for them. Men
*are* welcome to participate, suggest, help and give inputs and ideas,
but honestly don't you think women should be allowed to decide how
they want their website and design them too.

Thanks for reading,
--

[*a] http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Encourage-Women-Linux-HOWTO/