[IndiChix] [Grrltalk] COC and Policy for Chapters

Gayathri Swaminathan gayathri.swa at gmail.com
Sat Jan 3 07:55:43 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 11:34 PM, Vid Ayer <vid at svaksha.com> wrote:

> Hello Folks,
>
> In the last 3.5 years of this local chapter's existence,  this last
> year of 2008 has been the most tumultous in terms of personal stress
> and abuse as a result of  volunteering time in this project. Anyway
> I'll avoid personal details and instead try to dispense some fallacies
> *once again* :
>

> On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 10:55 PM, Gayathri Swaminathan
> <gayathri.swa at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > Don't think making grrtalk archives public is necessary.
> >
> > The problem LinuxChix-India is facing is a very simple problem. The local
> > chapter needs a new domain name to better associate with it's parent
> > organization LinuxChix. The problem stems/hinges on the "how" part.
>

> 1] As for a new domain name the linuxchix.in has not been squatted on
> in the last 3 years [1] and as of writing this mail its still
> available. But that is NOT the issue here.  [1]
> http://mailman.linuxchix.org/pipermail/indichix/2005-December/000293.html
>
> The moot point is, the domain owner of  linuxchix.org.in , is
> incommunicado, MIA and is not responding to mesages sent by multiple
> people in the past week. Secondly, another member, Mr. Atul Chitnis,
> has threatened to fork the group on the grounds that LC has no
> policies and that multiple chapters can exist. This will endup
> confusing newcomers, is unhealthy, etc... but I am told that the name
> can be easily (mis)used without being involved at a grassroots level
> within Indichix. That would be very unfortunate and currently we
> cannot prevent forks unless we get upstream support (in terms of
> policy making).  Hence, LinuxChix-India is NOT facing a very simple
> problem and attempts at communication to transfer the domain ownership
> to active 'Chix have come to naught. Last year I had suggested that
> one of the TresChix name can be added (if others agree) as one of the
> 3 names for ownership.
>
> Since Linuxchix is famous by its own accord and we have many esteemed
> personalities from the Libre software world involved, watching and
> subscribed to the lists, it would help to have local chapter policies
> laid out clearly so that there is no ambiguity with respect to domain
> ownership, etc....   Transparency and openness helps the community
> grow manifold and its the easiest way to bring in newcomers and
> encourage them to take on responsibilities, not just usurp others
> grunt work.
>

> > Handling the technical/ communication parts of this move needs
> explanation,
> > forming protocols, informing volunteers/ contributors. The
> > founders/administrators of LinuxChix-India need to work on these details
> and
> > consistently inform members of the organization.
>

> 2] As for the  technical aspects, that comes after #1 has been
> resolved. I dont speak for others and am not the group leader either
> but I do know that the people (men and women) who have contributed to
> [...]

Alright so now it seems that you want to continue have the site as is
http://linuxchix.org.in and have domain ownership transferred. The reason I
ask is in this original email to the list:

[1]
http://mailman.linuxchix.org/pipermail/indichix/2008-December/001309.html

you do mention about the possibility of transfer or else moving to a new
domain. Am I reading your email correctly?

How hard is it to get all involved woman administrators/interested
contributors come for a discussion perhaps at a meetup or at IRC #indichix.
Discuss how to further efforts and identify participants.

Finally, as a list member I did try to steer discussions from the personal
attack/unhealthy mode. I did not have to call names/ point fingers to steer
discussions. Here is reference to the email

[2]
http://mailman.linuxchix.org/pipermail/indichix/2008-December/001325.html

After Charlotte clarified how this would be configured.

[3]
http://mailman.linuxchix.org/pipermail/indichix/2008-December/001331.html

Archana ( our founder ) finally steered discussions on the right course

[4] http://mailman.linuxchix.org/pipermail/indichix/2009-January/001337.html

Her message and Hassath's indeed cited that this unhealthy mode is
unecessary and warned members should get back on the mode of discussion. My
concerns have always been how to encourage participation. motivate new
comers.

Hence I have been reiterating over and over in my replies that it is better
that administrators/ owners first collectively/calmly think how to move on
and progress this next year. When opening a known issue one that has existed
due to administrative handling, introduce it openly to group for everyone's
information but also plan on guiding discussions/ collecting proactive
opinions.

Not many new members are all voicy. So a flaming thread as one that has
occured might cause some adverse feeling towards participation.

As already mentioned, if you need more hands to shoulder efforts, do count
me in as a volunteer.

--
Gayathri Swaminathan
gpgkey: 3EFB3D39