[IndiChix] Summary of hosting offers + Voting (open till 2009feb07)

Sriram Narayanan sriramnrn at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 16:33:13 UTC 2009

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAMP_(software_bundle)

>How many databases is the user allowed to create ?

How many do you want ? And for what purpose ? I can think of one
database for the wiki.

For all other experimentation, I'd rather experiment on my own
personal computers.

> And if SSH access is given anyone can install any no of wikis
> mediawiki,tkwiki . or even a drupal CMS :)
> I am just wondering why only mediawiki is mentioned when ssh access is given
> ?
My rationale for mentioning:
- the server already has this
- the existing mediawiki dump is in a mediawiki importable format
- we can start to use mediawiki right away thanks to the dump. If at
all we need something else, we can consider that, and then come up
with the steps involved in moving to that. (volunteers + test results
needed, of course, preferably from those would like the change).

Also, we can propose various technologies, but one needs to maintain
all this over a period of time. I speak from experience since I
administer some 50+ sites created with the choice technology of the
day, who have moved on and left me taking care of their labour of
love.

> Cheers to the volunteers for resolving the issue and quickly going on a
> positive direction . I just hope the same amount of activity continues on
> the  ground ie colleges and industry !

Which is where the focus should be, indeed. Thankfully, some of us are
now motivated enough to ensure that destructive criticism and the
disrespect of women does not take place at least on this list.