[IndiChix] [Status Update] Domain name change + website hosting move

VidAyer vid at svaksha.com
Mon Feb 2 01:07:42 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 11:30 PM, Gayathri Swaminathan
<gayathri.swa at gmail.com> wrote:

> +1. That's my understanding as well. Vidya has approached non-profit
> organizations specifically so continuity/ transfer issues can be
> handled smoothly.

TBH, judging an offer only on the NP status is discounting the offers
made by Individuals who are willing to host _and_ provide shell access
to us on their private servers. Its not fair to their generosity.  If
the "private server, no access" issue ever arises then we will have to
rethink hosts irrespective of the NP/individual status.

> I am residing at US. But if it's alright to be a remote systems
> administrator, would like to volunteer.

Thanks. I grok your enthusiasm and dont misunderstand, but the idea of
a local chapter is to provide an opportunity to local women who will
probably not get an opportunity to learn and be a contributing member
at the same time. I hardly see women taking active interest in the
local LUG's/IRC.  Well, creating a positive atmosphere takes a lot of
time and growing a community takes longer so you are already helping
us in that sense :)

> Should we go with a different skin/ site structure, so
> linuxchix.org.in and india.linuxchix.org have different look? This is
> so we can avoid confusions to new members.

Probably but is that enough?  The new rules regarding local chapters
(discussed in the chapters/volunteers lists) : Only officially
approved chapters get the  "country.linuxchix.org" redirect.  As this
list and IRC is already hosted on their server, it cant get more legit
but I'd suggest we  should have a page explaining things on the new
wiki too.  After the move, I will request an update on the chapters
pages at linuxchix.org.

Re, Data transfer : Hosting providers have monthly GB quotas for
traffic, upload/download which varies and the buyer is charged
accordingly. That would need to be considered too.

Vid
|| http://www.svaksha.com ||