[IndiChix] [Status Update] Domain name change + website hosting move

hassath at gmail.com hassath at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 02:58:28 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 6:37 AM, VidAyer <vid at svaksha.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 11:30 PM, Gayathri Swaminathan
> <gayathri.swa at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> +1. That's my understanding as well. Vidya has approached non-profit
>> organizations specifically so continuity/ transfer issues can be
>> handled smoothly.
>
> TBH, judging an offer only on the NP status is discounting the offers
> made by Individuals who are willing to host _and_ provide shell access
> to us on their private servers. Its not fair to their generosity.  If
> the "private server, no access" issue ever arises then we will have to
> rethink hosts irrespective of the NP/individual status.

I agree. Also, I have been working with non-profits for enough years
to know that just because we get space from a non-profit does not mean
that there will be no conflict or politicking. Here's my suggestion:
we see who can provide us the best deal- in the sense of what we need
to be able to keep the wiki going, and help volunteers pick up the
tasks as easily as possible. If this is an individual, ok. But we also
request a non-profit to give us space where we can have a backup set
up. Or if we have the organisation hosting our live website, then we
request an individual to give us space for the backup. And by backup I
don't mean just a dump, I mean a working wiki instance which can go
live any time needed. This way, we accept both kind of offers, and
keep our ass covered in case another crisis crops up.

How does that sound?

>> I am residing at US. But if it's alright to be a remote systems
>> administrator, would like to volunteer.

Thanks for the offer, Gayathri. We do want local women to contribute,
but I'm sure there will be tasks in which you can contribute.

>> Should we go with a different skin/ site structure, so
>> linuxchix.org.in and india.linuxchix.org have different look? This is
>> so we can avoid confusions to new members.

> Probably but is that enough?  The new rules regarding local chapters
> (discussed in the chapters/volunteers lists) : Only officially
> approved chapters get the  "country.linuxchix.org" redirect.  As this
> list and IRC is already hosted on their server, it cant get more legit
> but I'd suggest we  should have a page explaining things on the new
> wiki too.  After the move, I will request an update on the chapters
> pages at linuxchix.org.

Yes, I think this can be a separate discussion- how to make sure that
the old domain and the contents are not confused with the new one.

--
- Hassath