[IndiChix] [Status Update] Domain name change + website hosting move

Gayathri Swaminathan gayathri.swa at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 18:00:26 UTC 2009

Hi:

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 3:41 AM, Sriram Narayanan <sriramnrn at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all:
>
> I'm writing this mail in the capacity of a co-ordinator.
>
> Here are the steps that I think are necessary as part of the domain
> name change + the website hosting move.
> 1. Confirm that the owner of the linuxchix.org.in domain is unwilling
> to transfer the domain name ownership to active list members.
> reasonably long enough time. We have not received any response, and
> must therefore move to a non-controversial domain name. We have
> received confirmation from the main linuxchix.org group, that they
> would be willing to provide us with india.linuxchix.org.

+1 here. Think Hassath has already confirmed we can't obtain
linuxchix.org.in and Vidya has talked to some non-profits for finding
hosting for india.linuxchix.org.

> 2. Modify the existing web server configuration to serve the content
> of india.linuxchix.org
> communication on the list. I have learned that one of the existing
> admins is genuinely not going to be able to help for the time being.
> We have therefore resolved to move to a new website host.

Once india.linuxchix.org hosting is figured, this seems to be a
discussion for volunteering systems administrators.

> 3. Seek alternative website hosts who'd be willing to host the
> community website without fee (money is always such a troublemaker and
> a powerful tool in the hands of the malicious)
> has contacted them. I believe she's awaiting a confirmation, and that
> she will update the list soon.

+1. That's my understanding as well. Vidya has approached non-profit
organizations specifically so continuity/ transfer issues can be
handled smoothly.

> 4. Extract the content of the existing website for import into a new website
> that they have received the website dump that I'd sent to them. I have
> also sent the link to page which lets the viewer download the various
> images that are in the wiki. I have myself downloaded these, and
> believe that at least some others too have downloaded the same.

Yes, I have the content of linuxchix.org.in and would like to help in
tasks related to content editing/ documentation.

> 5. Seek local volunteers from the list who'd be willing to take up
> administration tasks. The persons need not be experts - just
> enthusiastic.
> other list members who are experienced and who can step in with advice
> as and when needed.

I am residing at US. But if it's alright to be a remote systems
administrator, would like to volunteer.

> If anyone has any questions on the above, or feels that more steps are
> needed, please respond to this thread.

Should we go with a different skin/ site structure, so
linuxchix.org.in and india.linuxchix.org have different look? This is
so we can avoid confusions to new members.

Thanks,

--
Gayathri Swaminathan
gpgkey: 3EFB3D39