Slackware 10.2

Anand Avati asynchronousacknowledgement at nv4BxHxNlp3itb1afrpbzo0MXzZkphmZz8j0aJO49iVfiMKioD7FgCLNalQCeC9klFEsLn83ypH55Z6W1oD6XTA8UD_aVU9HmAbaYO3nKw.yahoo.invalid
Mon Oct 31 19:17:11 UTC 2005

> 1) Grub starts with command line. Is there a way to make it directly
start
> with the menu without having to mention configfile everytime... maybe
> something like grub.conf on RH.

you need a correctly configured /boot/grub/menu.lst (btw, slackware by
default comes with LILO, did you install grub extra?) .. as a clean
sweep try 'grub-install /dev/hda' and write a good /boot/grub/menu.lst

> 2) We connect to the net through main institute server. I have
entered all
> the details, IP address, netmask, gateway, primary and secondary DNS
> servers.. i.e. all the info I needed to enter for config on a windows
> machine. I can connect to our intranet servers but not to anywhere
else.

could you give the output of 'ifconfig -a' and 'route -n' ? all the
details you'v given are all what's needed to get working your internet
connex.. also can you resolve hostnames? ('dig google.com') and output
of 'traceroute -n 216.239.37.99' ?

enjoy a safe diwali!

cheers!

Anand V. Avati