[Courses] [Volunteers] Simple volunteer job: Converting old courses.

Penny Leach penny at mjollnir.org
Tue Aug 4 05:47:58 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 12:23:15AM -0400, Terri Oda wrote:
> A friend of mine asked about LaTeX and I wanted to direct him to
> Isabelle's great LaTeX course... but her site isn't online anymore and
> we never put the lessons on the new site.  So made a basic new page for
> them:
> http://www.linuxchix.org/courses/latex.html
>
> If anyone's interested in a simple task to help out linuxchix, I'd love
> to see some (or all!) of the other courses moved from the old site to
> the new.  It'll mean finding the course on the old website (or in the
> courses archive) and just cutting, pasting, and formatting the lessons
> into the new site.  It's pretty easy, satisfying, and helps make the
> linuxchix site more useful.

Have we completely given up on using Moodle for this?  Julie Pichon put a
lot of work into migrating the old courses from mbox format to Moodle and
we've been waiting for .. oh, at least a year, for Postgres to be upgraded
on the server :(

We had a new version of Moodle, with the SSO problems removed (we took away
SSO from the main Linuxchix site after a long discussion about it), and all
the courses ready to go.

If people want to go ahead and copy and paste them all over to the new
Drupal then I'll happily bow out, but I think it's really a pity since it's
a huge duplication of effort for something that could have been solved a
year ago, but that was held up by a relatively small task.

Cheers,
Penny

--
Penny Leach | http://mjollnir.org | http://she.geek.nz