[Courses] Re: Computer Security career path

Terri Oda terri at zone12.com
Thu Feb 3 17:57:57 EST 2005

On Feb 1, 2005, at 7:29 AM, Raven Alder wrote:
> 	Yeah, there's nothing like experimentation and being able to
> look at your own system from both the outside and the inside.  However,
> if you don't have the training budget for a class, the "Hacking
> Exposed"
> series of books are actually really good.  (I love this, because now I
> can go "buy that book" when people ask me how to learn to do my job.
> It's much shorter than the previous two hour explanation.)

Do those of you working in computer security wind up spending a lot of
time explaining that what you do isn't necessarily evil?  I've gotten
some pretty nasty looks from people for even admitting that I know how
to do portscans, let alone understanding write email worms or buffer
overflow attacks.

  Terri