[Courses] [Python] Welcome

Jacqueline McNally jacqueline at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Sat Jul 20 20:32:53 EST 2002

I feel that I have only dipped my toes into programming, and have not
designed my own programmes for many many years. I know enough to *read*
most programming languages for technical writing purposes, but only as a
last resort.

I am comfortable with HTML and JavaScript.

I got interested in Java in order to compose online help cross-platform,
but have not done much tweaking here as Sun provided a way for me to use
FrameMaker source and create JavaHelp.

Java introduced me to object-orientated thinking and programming, so I am
looking to Python now to follow up that interest.

I have great respect for pythons as we would see them regularly when I
lived in North-West Australia. I still find them fascinating, although have
grown out of the desire to handle them :)

I look forward to handling some Python of my own making.

All the best
Jacqueline McNally
http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/users/zenryaku/

Community Contact, Australia/New Zealand
OpenOffice.org Marketing Project
(www.openoffice.org)

Are you a computer angel? (www.ca.asn.au)

PS The O'Reilly newsletter announced:
"PYTHON COOKBOOK
Order Number: 1673
This book is a collection of problems, solutions, and practical
examples for Python programmers, written by Python programmers. It
contains over two hundred recipes for text manipulation, object
oriented programming, XML processing, system administration, and much
more. This book is a treasure trove of useful code for both novices and
advanced practitioners, with contributions from such Python luminaries
as Guido Van Rossum, Tim Peters, Paul Prescod, and Mark Hammond.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pythoncook/

Chapter 1, "Python Shortcuts," is available online:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pythoncook/chapter/index.html"