[Courses] PHP Threat

Jenn Vesperman jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au
Wed Jul 10 03:29:31 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-07-10 at 12:45, kansas_kennedy at phreaker.net wrote:
> Has anyone read the PHP-Howto? It threats and blatantly tells that every
> other language will be driven out of the market by the mighty PHP. Well, it
> has happened before like Perl has got Bash out mostly...etc.
>
> Anyone has any input on this issue? Will it really be a major language for
> the future generation network engineers? Or is it just a hype?

Like any language, it doubtless things it does better than $LANG and
things it does worse than $LANG.
I'll dismiss it as hype.

Also note: Perl, Python, bash, tcsh and Ruby are all heavily-used
scripting languages. None of them are ever (IMO) going to push All The
Other Scripting Languages out. Sure, I'll use Perl if I need string
manipulation. But I'll use Python over Perl for long-term readability.
And bash or tsch if I'm using a lot of shell stuff.
(Sorry, I don't know Ruby. Yet.)
Hell, I'll use make to script in if it's the right tool for the job.

Jenn V.

jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au     http://anthill.echidna.id.au/~jenn/