[Courses] PHP Threat

Sophie sophie at cats.meow.at
Tue Jul 9 20:13:54 EST 2002

On Wed, Jul/10/02 03:29:31AM +1000, Jenn Vesperman wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-07-10 at 12:45, kansas_kennedy at phreaker.net wrote:
> > has happened before like Perl has got Bash out mostly...etc.

perl and bash dont complete for the same areas. while perl is more of a programing language, bash is at the other end of the spectrum, and also a shell... imho it's not really sane to compare languages like this; everything is one big fuzzy mess. But then no comparison is so clear anyway.

> > Anyone has any input on this issue? Will it really be a major language for
> > the future generation network engineers? Or is it just a hype?

Last time I looked, network engineers used IOS :)

> Like any language, it doubtless things it does better than $LANG and
> things it does worse than $LANG.
> I'll dismiss it as hype.

Good idea. I even used xml for something useful today ;)

> Hell, I'll use make to script in if it's the right tool for the job.

Or even if it's not... like BSD's ports ;)

All I really wanted to say, is that I know somone who swears by php as a general-purpose scripting languge. But then, he is an odd person. :)

Also, many people prefer cgi or "scripting" in C, for varying reasons. Again, whatever suits your needs.

My question is - and not wishing to take this discussion offtopic - why is python so popular?

- sophie