[Courses] PHP (non) Threat

Hamster hamster at hamsternet.org
Tue Jul 9 19:08:08 EST 2002

Couple of thoughts about this.

The blurb attached to *every* piece of hardware, software, language, pasta sauce and space shuttle that I have ever seen hails the given product as being the be all and end all of that product catagory. PHP appears to be no different in this respect.

PHP, just like perl, bash , awk, tcl, C, C++, ruby, python and the hundred other languages I havent mentioned are all the perfect tool for *a particular situation*. They all have their weaknesses, strengths and benefits, and I dont think any of these is going to become predominant for every given situation.

I know I for one am not going to start writing my init scripts in php or perl or anything except shell!!

Perl hasnt even come close to outing bash. Nor will it I dont think. While every unix/linux machine will have some variety of the shell on it, you cannot depend on perl being present. Hence the vast majority of install scripts are still written in shell.

Just my few odd thoughts, unfortunately not cobbled together very well.. but I hope I get the general feeling across.

Hamster