[Courses] PHP Threat

Laura Bowser lbowser at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Jul 9 12:11:05 EST 2002

I have no doubt that PHP is a very useful language, I've been using it for
about 4 years now.  It obviously hasn't taken over the world, but almost
everyone I know uses it to some extent.  It's the same type of language as
ASP, but does *soo* much more.  There's a plugin or package for almost any
kind of task you need.

I seriously doubt that network engineers will be using it to a large degree.
Network code requires very small and fast code to filter and route packets.
PHP is fast, but not that fast.  PHP is a great tool for web pages, small
scripts, things like that, but no network engineer who knows what she's doing
will use it for networking code.

Laura

>Has anyone read the PHP-Howto? It threats and blatantly tells that every
>other language will be driven out of the market by the mighty PHP. Well, it
>has happened before like Perl has got Bash out mostly...etc.
>
>Anyone has any input on this issue? Will it really be a major language for
>the future generation network engineers? Or is it just a hype?

Public Key available at
http://callista.dyndns.org/~elwing/lbowser.gpg