[Courses] [Python] Re: Welcome

Laura Bowser lbowser at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Jul 1 08:49:31 EST 2002

>ASSIGNMENT ONE!
>Introduce yourself on the list, tell us what programming experience you
> have, and what
>resource you are planning to use for the course.  Are you waiting for a book
> to arrive.
>Also post a quote that is related to why this language is called "Python"

Hi, I'm Laura Bowser, and I'm a graduate student/staff at Carnegie Mellon
University in Pittsburgh, PA.  I live with my fiancee and two monsters
(cats), and I enjoy computers, reading, needlework, and dancing.
I have a lot of progamming experience in several languages, but my strength is
C.  I'm working in C++ and Java for work right now, and I'd like to learn
Python because there are a few open source projects (gramps.sourceforge.net)
that I'd like to be able to submit bug fixes and improvements to which are
written in Python.
I'm planning on using online resources and if any of my friends have books, I
might borrow them, but I don't plan on purchasing a book.
As to why it's called Python (according to the FAQ),
It's named after Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Laura

--
Public Key available at
http://callista.dyndns.org/~elwing/lbowser.gpg