[Announce] Possibility to be on TV: might be USA only, NOT actually geek related

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Sat Aug 21 06:13:51 EST 2004

On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 01:34:38AM +1000, LinuxChix Coordinator wrote:
> For some reason, some TV show called 'Faking It' wants a 'shy, geeky
> woman' interested in appearing on the show, and able to leave their job
> and family for four weeks.
>
> They also have some narrow and (to me) weirdly pointless criteria about
> size, height and age: US? sizes 4 or 6, 5'9", 21-27.
>
> Nor did they say what country they're in, and what country the applicant
> must be in. The casting agent's email address includes 'usa.com', and
> whoises to a California address, so I figure that US is a good bet. :)
>
> If you're interested, let me know.
>
> If anyone has a guess why the weird criteria, other than the somewhat
> offensive obvious, I'd like to know. :)

"Faking It" is a show I've glanced at on cable.  The premise is to take
a person, train them in some unrelated (but exciting) field for four
weeks (everything from cross-dressing to rodeo) and then put them up
against the "real thing" and see if they get away with it.

Therefore, I would think that the "shy, geeky woman" would be asked to
do something very un-shy and very un-geeky.  From the description, the
"offensive obvious" could well be the case.  They probably want someone
young, thin, and attractive, and they'll, like, make her into a fashion
model or something even stranger.

Kathryn Andersen