[Actionchix] *Vote: Linux Chix mag "audience", "title" and "motto" - Closes Saturday Sept. 15th

Melissa Draper melissa at meldraweb.com
Sun Sep 9 10:02:59 UTC 2007

Selbak, Rolla N wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Feel free to voice your opinion out loud by emailing the list, or just
> email me directly for an anonymous vote.  I will post the results after
> the vote closes on Saturday Sept. 15th.
>
> Taking the below votes (mark all choices that apply for each question)
>

> 1. ** What is our content? **
>
> A) An open source publication (Linux, Solaris, etc.).
> B) Linux-centric (open source).
> C) Linux-centric with no emphasis on open source vs. non-open.
> D) Women-centric regular columns (like upcoming women software events,
> etc.).
> E) Specify Other.

+1 A, because this gives us the largest target audience.
-1 D, because this would be counterproductive, and reduce our target
audience drastically. A feminine tendancy will happen to a degree in an
organic fashion anyway. I strongly recommend that we have some males
involved in the process to avoid overt bias, or we risk ending up like
LJ in reverse.

> 2. ** Who is our audience? **
>
> A) All (experts/newbies, all gender identities).
> B) Emphasis on Women in the tech world, but friendly to other gender
> identities as well.
> C) Emphasis on Women in the tech world period.
> D) Specify Other.

Same votes as for Q1 for the same reasons.

> 3. ** Any cool ideas for the title of our mag and our motto? **
>
> A) Specify your suggestion.

I like Strata's idea of "O!pen: the Shared Technology <noun>", but I'm
not sure of the use of 'Journal', as it gives a subliminal reference to
Linux Journal. They make the word 'Journal' boring ;)

Alternatives would be Gazette (one of my favourite words ;)), Bulletin,
Circular, etc

Also, as far as alternatives go, I'd steer clear of 'Periodical' and
'Rag' for reasons of avoiding gender mockery.

> Things to consider:
>
> - Do we want to use the "Linux Chix" trademark?  Will it help us in
> reaching our audience?
> - Do we want a title that doesn't include any gender references so we
> can have a broader audience?
> - Do we want something witty, wacky, or straightforward?

I agree with having it touted as "A Linux Chix (tm) publication".
However, I strongly advise keeping as much a degree of gender neutrality
for the branding as possible.

As for witty and wacky, definitely -- but within reason!