[Actionchix] Plone is installed

Jen-Mei Wu jenw at colorfulexpressions.com
Tue Sep 5 17:10:01 UTC 2006

Mary Gardiner wrote:
>> * Permissions. I didn't change permissions on the site, so people can
>> view pages anonymously. I did add a robots.txt file, though, so search
>> engines (if they behave) shouldn't index this site. I can't think of an
>> easy way to do this. If there's a way to use http auth in apache for
>> proxied pages, that would work, but I've never tried this.  Changing
>> permissions in Zope would be unwieldy.
>>

> I'd like to lock it down with http auth so that it's totally clear to
> everyone which site is official, and so that test.linuxchix.org won't
> attract links until it switches over.

It would be great if Apache could do this, but auth in Apache apparently
only applies to files on the file system, not to a site you proxy to.
Well, I think that's the case, anyway -- I setup the Apache site then
turned on http auth. It protects files on the file system, but not
Plone, since it's proxied there. If someone knows more about Apache,
maybe they can figure out a way to do this.

We could do this in Plone, sort of, but it's not easy.  We could remove
all anonymous permissions from the root of the site, but we'd have to be
careful to redo these later on. Anonymous users going to the site would
still see the login page, though.

Anyone have any other ideas?

My preference, again, would be to run this site on a virtual host that's
not listed in DNS.  That's the case right now, in fact ... if you add
test.linuxchix.org to your hosts file (same ip as www) then go to
http://test.linuxchix.org you'll see the site. If we block port 8001 on
the server, then the site will not be accessible except through local
hosts files or local DNS changes.

> I think http://test.linuxchix.org/ via virtual hosting would suit.

Done. ;-)

--
Jen-Mei Wu
Colorful Expressions, Inc. -- Help for your four-letter computer days!