[Actionchix] Migration to Plone

Lisa lisaj at spiritualfruits.com
Mon Mar 27 17:51:28 EST 2006

> Great! If you have a server handy and want to make it available on the
> net for testing, that'd be grand. Otherwise, I'm setting up a server
> today (and maybe tomorrow) and will be happy to give you access to
> help configure it. Are you familiar with Zope?  After getting the
> server running, we need to install both Plone and plain Zope (the
> version of which will depend on what we're running now -- Dancer?)
> running at the same time. Since Plone will probably be using a
> different version of Zope, we'll probably need to do the install from
> source.  We'll probably also want a Web server configured to act as a
> proxy.

Hi Jenny,

I apologize for my misunderstanding; you were previously talking about
hardware and so I thought you were referring to hardware
upgrading/troubleshooting help at that point.  Nevertheless, there are
still ways I may be able to help with the webadmin portion as well.  If
you don't already have a server in mind, I have a decent Athlon system
that could be used for testing.  While I'm somewhat rusty, I do have
some LAMP experience and could help get things configured there.  I
don't have experience with Zope or Plone but have worked a bit with
Joomla, and I think I could work with others more familiar with those
CMSes to get things going.
> Just to clarify -- the migration is a separate project from the
> re-design.  The only bits we're doing that have to do with HTML are
> things we can do programmatically, such as filtering content through
> Tidy (which can generate valid xhtml output). If there are any other
> things we think should be automated as part of this, then we can work
> them into the script.  The documents that comprise the content
> (including courses pages) are pretty simple HTML, using basic
> formatting, and lists and tables. I don't think any of these documents
> has layout to speak of.
Actually, I appreciate you clarifying that.  I think we decided that the
cleanup was also a separate project, and that it would need to occur
before the redesign.  But I'm not sure if we really decided on whether
to migrate all the content as-is then do tidy and redesign, or tidy and
redesign then migrate content.

I could very well be underestimating myself as we women tend to do, but
the areas where I feel the most confidence are in hardware issues, HTML
tidy, and web redesign.  This is not to say that I'm afraid at all to
jump into a project, refresh my memory and learn some new things along
the way;  if anything I believe that's one of the best ways to learn
something.  But if you just want a fully functional Plone and Zope
server up ASAP, I don't think I could deliver on that without some help.

Lisa