[Actionchix] Re: [Volunteers] Need volunteers to help redesign and move linuxchix.org

chris lists at semioticpixels.com
Thu Mar 16 08:36:36 EST 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 13:30 +1100, Mary wrote:

> We are seeking interested people to help with this move. While we'd
> appreciate comment from interested people, we'd *particularly*
> appreciate people who are able to do part of the work, that is, people
> who can or are willing to learn how to:
>
>  - do attractive web design
>  - do standards compliant web design
>  - do accessible (for people without normal sight in particular) web
>    design
I can help with design and standards compliance.

>  - set up a website so that it can be easily translated into other
>    languages
>  - translate websites
>  - take content that doesn't have all of these features and re-jig it
This will be necessary to implementing the redesign so I can help with
this too.

>  - set up a CMS so that it can be used by multiple people (perhaps even
>    multiple domains) easily
>  - programmatically move content into a new CMS

Implementation of the new design is a separate task from doing design or
the html and css - as implementation involves putting it into the
templating system.

FWIW, I've found that it's a good idea to complete standards validation
and browser testing on static html/css prototypes Before implementation.
This way, when troubleshooting the cms templates you can eliminate
browser and validation errors as factors, which reduces time spent
debugging.

I'm happy to help with implementation as well as the html/css and design. I can help with Plone templates, Rails views and any php template system.

hth
chris