[Actionchix] Need volunteers to help redesign and move linuxchix.org

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Mon Mar 13 15:00:09 EST 2006

Salut, JC ! :D

Great to see you here. :)

On 13/03/2006, at 2:12 AM, JC Helary wrote:

> Also, as far as the HP localization is concerned, W3C is currently
> working on a draft for an Internationalization Tag Set (ITS) and
> they are working on the XHTML implementation.

Thanks for that info, I didn't know. It beats me where you find time
to keep up with all this! We should write some bindings for you and
plug you into a web interface of some kind. :)

> It is a promissing standard, and even though it has not yet reached
> the recomendation status, it should be mature enough when the
> actual localization of the site starts so that it can be used here
> as well.

It's good news. It should save us a _lot_ of manual tweaking, and
make the whole process of managing localizations easier for project
managers.

> As far as translation is concerned, there are many ways to do that
> but if you implement the site with a CMS, I suppose the translation
> will not take place on the displayed pages but at an earlier stage
> in the page generation process.

Yes, it will rely largely on the way we set up things from the
beginning. It's a great relief to be involved with a project that
factors in translation _from the start_. So often we have to work
with what's left later, and low priority.

> I'd say generating an xml file for translation, that can be later
> re-injected in the back end to produce a localized version would be
> the easiest way to do that. There are more and more computer aided
> tools that provide for arbitrary xml support (with the help of
> configuration files).

Omega-T [1] comes to mind. :)  Also my usual translation editor,
LocFactory Editor [2]. Possible translators, and anyone else
interested ;), please see this Localization Guide [3], Resources [4]
and the section on translation editors [5], all in the Translate Wiki.

The Translate Wiki [6] is a central resource for OSS translation
projects, particularly for translators. Your input is very
welcome. :) We will be able to add information on translating this
project.

> Jean-Christophe Helary
> (Hello Clytie !)

<Clytie waves happily>