[Actionchix] New website and internationalization

Mary Gardiner mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Tue Jun 27 06:40:38 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jun 27, 2006, Clytie Siddall wrote:
> I've been following the website discussion with interest, and thought
> it might be useful to mention our needs when translating websites
> into other languages.

I'm not able to comment on the technical aspects of this, it's likely
you yourself will be better able to judge when a beta site is up and
running.

One social question though is: to what extent is it useful to translate
the LinuxChix pages? Certainly, some of our technical content such as
courses would be useful in other languages. But our central community is
English speaking although several chapters operate in other languages.
Are we intending to translate pages such as "how to join our mailing
lists", and if so, what role will these translations play in our
community?

We have had some discussion about making the linuxchix.org lists
multilingual on occasion, there tends not to be consensus, both because
the demand is currently low and because we expect our moderators to
enforce "be polite, be helpful" and it's difficult to do this when you
can't read posts.

-Mary