[Actionchix] New website and internationalization

Clytie Siddall clytie at riverland.net.au
Tue Jun 27 06:15:52 UTC 2006

Hi everyone :)

I've been following the website discussion with interest, and thought
it might be useful to mention our needs when translating websites
into other languages.

Basically, to do an effective job and keep it updated, we need to be
able to pull simple HTML (or text, XML/DocBook, XLIFF) files from the
site.

We will translate them (or update our existing translations), then we
need to plug them back in.

How do you envisage us doing that?

We need fairly simple, direct access to pages needing translation, a
way to submit them and a way to be notified of changes to the
original text so we can update our existing translation (etc.).

Does our CMS provide these functions?

Wikis handle it fairly well: you have user-level access to pages, the
format is easy to understand, and you can receive update emails for
the original page(s), saying what has changed. You do need to keep a
backup copy of each translated page, since wikis are easily modified
by others.

I can give you a lot of detail on how different projects handle
website translation, but I thought it would be useful to start with
the basic process: get, translate, put back, update.

Việt hóa phần mềm tự do)