[Techtalk] accessing stuff over openvpn

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Wed Oct 16 22:50:50 UTC 2013

hey all,

I'm revisiting OpenVPN, and I find a I am befuzzled-- I want to use it
like SSH, and log into a remote machine and run whatever apps I want.
But it doesn't work that way, does it. In the past I've used bridged
VPN for Samba shares, but I haven't touched samba in ages. I've also
used it to force all network traffic through the VPN tunnel. I prefer a
routed VPN anyway.

So what I want to do is start it manually on the client machine
(laptop), and not force all traffic through the VPN, but have both
local and tunneled networking. For example, run a Web browser on
whatever wireless network I'm attached, and use the VPN to check email
or snag files from my server. Can I do this?

thanks!
--
Carla Schroder