[Techtalk] Mutt O'phobia

Siobhan Elliott siobhan+lc at spiderland.net
Tue Mar 25 15:09:17 EST 2003

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 11:59:48PM -0500, anti_tanvir at yahoo.co.uk wrote:
<SNIP>

> > > And the .muttrc in the user's home looks like this:
> > >
> > > set folder=~/Mail
> > > set from="User <user at mail.com>"
> > > set hostname="mail.com" #[this is not the smtp server]
> > > set envelope_from="yes"
> > >
> > > Sending mail:
> > >
> > > error sending message: child exited 69(service
> > > unavailable)
> >
> > Try adding this to your .muttrc:
> >
> > set sendmail="<PATH TO SENDMAIL BINARY> -oi -oem"
> >
> > -Siobhan
>
> Hi Siobhan,
>
> Thanks for offering me help. I run the command ps -ef | grep
> '[s]endmail' which gives me
>
> root       719     1  0 17:47 ?        00:00:00 sendmail: accepting
> connections
> smmsp      729     1  0 17:47 ?        00:00:00 sendmail: Queue
> runner at 01:00:00
>
> Well, I also tried to adding sendmail path (/usr/sbin/sendmail) but no
> luck.
>
> Please let me know if you have anything more in mind.
>
> -T.

Hi,

Does anything appear in your mail log (I don't use Red Hat anymore
but it should be /var/log/maillog) when you try to send mail?

Are you able to send mail straight from the command line, i.e.:

$ mail some_address at yahoo.com
Subject: test test
test
.
Cc:
$

Then check your log and see if it reports anything unusual... also, if
you have no particular reason to use sendmail, I recommend installing
postfix instead which is much easier to set up/troubleshoot ...

--
L Siobhan Elliott
Email: siobhan at spiderland.net / AIM: chordchemist999