[Techtalk] Mutt O'phobia

anti_tanvir at yahoo.co.uk anti_tanvir at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 26 15:05:17 EST 2003

On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 17:09, Siobhan Elliott wrote:
> Hi,
> Does anything appear in your mail log (I don't use Red Hat anymore
> but it should be /var/log/maillog) when you try to send mail?
> Are you able to send mail straight from the command line, i.e.:
> $ mail some_address at yahoo.com
> Subject: test test
> test
> .
> Cc:
> $

Hi,

I could solve the problem!!!! I can now receive and send mails using
mutt. Thanks for letting me know about the logfile. I noticed
tcp_wrapper was blocking the mails. So, I had to comment out the lines:

ALL:ALL in hosts.deny and ALL:local in hosts.allow. Do you know any way
around this? I mean this is quite dangerous commenting out those two
lines.

Another thing is that, when I send mails from the colsole..the receiver
gets the From: header as user_name at localhost.localdomain. Is it because
of the entry in the /etc/hosts file?

Are the above two problems identical?

Thanks for all of your help and I'd really appreciate if you can shed
some light on the tcp_wrapper thingie.

Wishes,
T.