[Techtalk] Mutt O'phobia

anti_tanvir at yahoo.co.uk anti_tanvir at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 26 00:59:48 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-24 at 21:26, Siobhan Elliott wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 01:25:01AM +0000, anti tanvir wrote:
>
> > But when I do fetchmail it says something dangerous:
> >
> > 1 message for user at pop.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (1023
> > octets).
> > reading message 1 of 1 (1023 octets) . flushed
> > fetchmail: No mail for user  at pop.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> >
> > That is, it reads the msg and send it straight to
> > /dev/null
>
> I believe sendmail actually has to be running in daemon mode, so
> fetchmail can pass mail to it for local delivery. When you do
>
> $ ps -ef | grep '[s]endmail'
>
> do you get anything? Can you telnet to localhost port 25 and get a sendmail
> banner?
>
> > And the .muttrc in the user's home looks like this:
> >
> > set folder=~/Mail
> > set from="User <user at mail.com>"
> > set hostname="mail.com" #[this is not the smtp server]
> > set envelope_from="yes"
> >
> > Sending mail:
> >
> > error sending message: child exited 69(service
> > unavailable)
>
> Try adding this to your .muttrc:
>
> set sendmail="<PATH TO SENDMAIL BINARY> -oi -oem"
>
> -Siobhan

Hi Siobhan,

Thanks for offering me help. I run the command ps -ef | grep
'[s]endmail' which gives me

root       719     1  0 17:47 ?        00:00:00 sendmail: accepting
connections
smmsp      729     1  0 17:47 ?        00:00:00 sendmail: Queue
runner at 01:00:00

Well, I also tried to adding sendmail path (/usr/sbin/sendmail) but no
luck.

Please let me know if you have anything more in mind.

-T.