[Techtalk] ip addreses on redhat

Hamster hamster at hamsternet.org
Mon Aug 4 15:46:30 EST 2003

Hello Lena,

> I'm working on redhat 8, and I was wondering where the system stores its
> nic's ip address once it boots up. I assume it's somewhere under
> /proc..but where exactly?

Is the IP address being assigned statically or dynamically?

If it's static, the IP address lives in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX  where X is the interface number.

If the address is being assigned dynamically, then where it's stored depends
on the dhcp client you're using. The most probable location is
/var/lib/dhcp, but as I said, that location might vary depending on the
client. In any case, it will be stored somewhere in /var, not /proc

Hamster