[Techtalk] ip addreses on redhat

Luke Woods lwoods at netstarnetworks.com
Tue Aug 5 00:16:21 EST 2003

Hi,

I believe she might be talking about where the address is stored after
being configured (by ifconfig or the like).

Network interfaces are kernel resident, the applications make system
calls to change certain parameters of the interface.

Quote:

Is the IP address being assigned statically or dynamically?

If it's static, the IP address lives in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX  where X is the interface
number.

If the address is being assigned dynamically, then where it's stored
depends on the dhcp client you're using. The most probable location is
/var/lib/dhcp, but as I said, that location might vary depending on the
client. In any case, it will be stored somewhere in /var, not /proc